Memorial Day: Honoring Our Heroes
How to share with children
Memorial Day is a special holiday that honors the brave men and women who have given their lives while serving our country. It’s a day to remember and thank the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedoms. In this blog post, we’ll explain the meaning of Memorial Day and how we can honor our heroes.
What is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is a federal holiday that is observed on the last Monday of May each year. It was originally known as Decoration Day and was first celebrated after the Civil War to honor Union soldiers who died in the war. After World War I, the holiday was expanded to honor all American soldiers who have died while serving our country.
How is Memorial Day celebrated?
On Memorial Day, many people visit cemeteries and memorials to honor the soldiers who have died. Some people also fly the American flag at half-staff until noon as a sign of respect. Parades are held in some cities to honor the military, and some families have picnics or barbecues to spend time together and remember their loved ones who have served.
Ways to honor our heroes
There are many ways to honor the soldiers who have died while serving our country. Here are a few ideas:
- Visit a local cemetery or memorial and place flowers or flags on the graves of soldiers.
- Write a letter to a soldier who is currently serving our country or to a veteran who has served in the past.
- Attend a Memorial Day parade or ceremony in your community.
- Fly the American flag at half-staff until noon.
- Take a moment of silence at 3:00 pm to remember and honor the fallen soldiers.
Remembering and honoring our heroes is important, not just on Memorial Day but every day. We owe a debt of gratitude to the brave men and women who have given their lives to protect our freedoms.
Read More Here:
– “Why We Celebrate Memorial Day” by The History Channel: https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/memorial-day-history
TEN pages of summer fun. Sandcastles, turtles, gnomes & boats
Susi & Sawyer are twins who love to color. And when it rains or they need down time they love put crayon to paper with littleSonder coloring pages. ⛱️….